MISSISSAUGA: The City of Mississauga’s new Churchill Meadows Community Centre & Sports Park is now officially open.
The new state of the art sports park and community centre is located at the Ninth Line lands future development area between Highway 403 and 401.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie has congratulated Councillor Sue McFadden, of Ward 10, “for championing this incredible facility that will improve the wellbeing of so many Mississauga residents.”
The project will be developed in phases and serve the local community and future urban development along the City’s western boundary, near a tributary of Sixteen Mile Creek, with a community centre and a 57-acre park.
According to the City of Mississauga’s Strategic Plan, one of the City’s strategic goals is to build and maintain its infrastructure for its citizens for generations to come. Sound, functional and attractive buildings, facilities, roads, transit, public and open spaces are integral to completing our neighbourhoods as we build a City for the 21st century.
Formerly agricultural lands, with a currently protected wetland, the site will be the new home of 75,000 square foot community centre and 57 acre park. Approximately half of the land will be developed in Phase One, with further development in future phases.
• To provide a City owned community centre and sports park for the residents of Ward 10 and neighbouring communities and to serve City-wide sport’s needs
• Design and build public spaces that are consistent with the recommendations of the 2014 and 2019 Future Directions, Recreation, Parks and Forestry, Library and Fire and Emergency Services Master Plans
• Design with an environmentally responsible approach and to LEED Silver Standards
• Develop a site that meets accessibility requirements
• Create a design that provides for variety of recreational activities, including passive and programmed uses Located at 5320 Ninth Line, the 75,000-square foot community centre and 57-acre Sports Park offers:
• A social and recreation hub for the community
• Aquatics centre, which includes 25-metre, six-lane pool and therapeutic pool
• Fitness studio
• Triple gymnasium
• Meeting room/program space
• Teaching kitchen
• Outdoor spaces and trails
• Park amenities including a playground, spray pad, skatepark, multi-purpose court, outdoor fitness equipment
• Turf soccer field with a seasonal dome
• Outdoor turf soccer field
• Enhanced natural areas The North Mississauga Soccer Club’s League1 teams will be relocated to this new field and the Club has funded upgraded amenities for these games, including a scoreboard for their exclusive use. While the City has agreed to schedule the League1 games at this field, the fields are a City asset and will be available for all residents and affiliated groups to enjoy, following the city’s Field Allocation Policy for bookings.