Cornmeal porridge is a staple food in some Indigenous households and is usually enjoyed in the morning. This version of the recipe is prepared with maple water.
Prep time 5 min | Cook time 20 min | Servings 4
- 1 L (4 cups) maple water
- 500 mL (2 cups) yellow cornmeal, medium grind
- 1 L (4 cups) of fresh or frozen berries
- 250 ml (1 cup) of water
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) of sugar
- 20 mL (4 tsp) maple syrup
- In a pan, bring maple water to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in the cornmeal and fold gently (do not stop or the mixture will clump together). Remove from heat after 8 minutes.
- Prepare the fruit preserve: Mix the berries, water, and sugar in a pot. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Divide the cornmeal into 4 bowls. Top off with fruit preserve and maple syrup. Serve with berries.