MISSISSAUGA: The City of Mississauga has received international recognition from Foreign Direct Investment (fDi) Magazine and received:
• Joint Runner–Up
• Best Aftercare awards based on the ability of businesses to look after investments and see investments grow
• Specialism awards recognizing the City’s outstanding response to COVID-19 “We are proud of this international honour that reflects our ongoing commitment to the health and growth of our business community,” said Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “Our Council has diligently supported business every step of the way during the pandemic.
“We worked to understand the support they needed to sustain their operations and now what they need as they begin to recover and thrive. Our Economic Development team has been tireless in their efforts, offering programs, providing assistance and guidance in very trying and unprecedented times. I am so pleased the hard work of our dedicated Council and Economic Development Team attracting businesses and helping them grow continues to receive international recognition.” The City of Mississauga offered businesses many supports with numerous programs and initiatives in 2021 some of which include:
• a business relief portal – central location identifying relief programs and incentives that apply to specific business needs and links to government supports
• business advisory services – free advisory services with legal, accounting, business operations and sales and marketing professionals
• online webinars – offering free training, advice and supports to entrepreneurs and small business
• Mississauga ShopHERE – providing independent small businesses and artists with an easy and free way to sell products and online services
• #Mississauga Made – a shop local campaign to support and promote Mississauga products and businesses
• Temporary Patio Program – allowing the expansion of outdoor dining and seating areas to meet COVID-19 safety guidelines “This recognition encourages us to continue our work providing programs and services businesses need to locate, grow and succeed. We are very proud of the aftercare services we offer to our business community, and are committed to their continued success long after they land in Mississauga,” said Bonnie Brown, Director of Economic Development.
“Throughout the pandemic, we listened and responded quickly to help meet the diverse needs of our businesses community. We have learned a great deal from this experience. We are looking forward to 2022 and supporting our Mississauga businesses as they continue to recover and grow.”
The Economic Development Office (EDO) provides information and services to help businesses start-up, locate and grow. Mississauga has experienced recent foreign direct investments from Infosys, HCL Technologies, Zifo RnD Solutions and Billennium. Mississauga’s vibrant and diverse business community is made up of over 98,000 businesses, 1,400 multinational firms and 75 Fortune 500 companies. Mississauga is one of the largest business centres in Canada, comprised of many prominent knowledge-based industries in Canada. These sectors include: Advanced Manufacturing, Financial Services, Information and Communications Technology, Life Sciences, Smart Logistics and more. Visit the Economic Development Office website to learn more.