A Middle Eastern dish that is both delicious and budget-friendly!
Prep time 5 min | Cook time 20 min | Servings 6
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 onions, sliced thinly
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 560 mL (2 ¼ cups) brown or wild rice, cooked
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) brown or green lentils, drained and rinsed
- In a pan, heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they turn dark caramel brown, stirring often. This will take about 15 minutes. Remove half of the onions to a bowl (these are for garnish later). Sprinkle in the ground cumin and cook about 1 minute more.
- Add the cooked rice to the onions and stir often for 3 minutes. Stir in the lentils and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve the rice and lentils with the reserved caramelised onions on top.