Get your comfort food craving filled with this meal. Get ready for your kitchen to be filled with the rich, mouth-watering aroma of simmering tomato sauce!
Prep time 20 min | Cook time 40 min | Servings 6
- 1 pkg (450 g) lean ground turkey
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) seasoned whole grain breadcrumbs
- 90 mL (6 tbsp) freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) no salt added tomatoes, pureed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs of fresh basil
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) hot pepper flakes
- 1 pkg (375 g) whole grain spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, breadcrumbs, 45 mL (3 tbsp) of the cheese, parsley and pepper. Using 15 mL (1 tbsp) measuring spoon, roll turkey mixture into meatballs and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Makes 24 meatballs. Bake in preheated 180°C (350 °F) oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring pureed tomatoes, carrot, onion, garlic, basil and hot pepper flakes to a simmer. Add meatballs; cover saucepan slightly and simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook spaghetti for about 10 minutes or until tender but firm Drain well and return to pot. Toss with sauce and meatballs until well coated. Sprinkle with remaining cheese to serve.
Spaghetti squash method
Looking for a creative way to increase your vegetable intake? Swap out the pasta for spaghetti squash. Here are a few ways you can cook it.
- Start by cutting the squash in half and scooping out the seeds.
- Place the squash cut-side down in a baking dish. Make sure the dish is microwave or oven-safe, depending on how you plan to cook it.
- Add about an inch of water to the baking dish.
- Choose your method of cooking the squash. You can:
- microwave until the squash is soft (about 10 minutes depending on the microwave and size of squash)
- roast it in the oven covered with aluminium foil in a baking dish
- cook at 200°C (400°F) until soft (30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the squash)
- Make the squash noodles once squash is cool enough to handle. Use a fork to pull the squash strands away from the rind. Toss the squash noodles in with the sauce and meatballs until well-coated.
- Serve immediately or keep in the:
- fridge for 3 to 4 days
- freezer for 2 to 3 months