MISSISSAUGA: Climate change is real and people are seeing its effects in Mississauga every day.
Mississauga’s new We Are Resilient exhibition started at Community Common Park and has now moved to the Great Hall inside Mississauga’s Civic Centre (City Hall) until January 6, 2023. It is designed to engage people by helping them learn more about climate change concepts and understand what global warming is. With photographs and stories submitted by Mississauga residents, it brings to light what climate change means to them.
The exhibition focuses on four key areas: land history, climate science, equity and resiliency. The designed panels serve to inspire and encourage dialogue by highlighting what individuals can do to reduce their greenhouse gas footprint and become more resilient to the impacts of our changing climate; all with simple actions that can be applied to their daily lives.
Did You Know:
- Anything less than 5 km is considered a bike-able distance and anything less than 1 km is considered walkable
- One MiWay bus carrying 40 to 50 passengers takes roughly 30 to 40 cars off the road
- Household energy emissions can be reduced by five per cent just by turning down the thermostat 1.5 degrees, saving homeowners approximately $150 yearly
Around the world, there is scientific consensus that our climate is changing, signalled by rising temperatures, increased precipitation and an increase in the frequency of extreme weather events. Taking action now to adapt and mitigate to the impacts of our changing climate, is our way of building a more resilient future for our community.
We Are Resilient will travel around Mississauga over the next few years and will appear in local parks, schools, along city trails and indoor facilities. This initiative is part of the implementation of the City’s Climate Change Action Plan.Visit the exhibit to learn how climate change impacts us all and what we can do together to make a difference.
Upcoming Event Details:
- Friday December 9, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Monday December 12, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Tuesday December 13, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday December 14, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Thursday December 15, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Friday December 16, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Monday December 19, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Tuesday December 20, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday December 21, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Thursday December 22, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Friday December 23, 2022 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Tuesday January 3, 2023 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Wednesday January 4, 2023 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Thursday January 5, 2023 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Friday January 6, 2023 – 8:30 am to 4:30 pm