(NC) Summer vacation is here. However, rising fuel prices are influencing plans, and have us looking for ways to make our trips more efficient.
Here are a few tips from Toyota Canada to help you get the most out of your summer trips:
- Be light-footed: Anticipate changes in speed and traffic and respond with gentle acceleration or deceleration. This is particularly helpful with most types of hybrid vehicles.
- Don’t speed: Not only is it dangerous, but speeding also burns more fuel, which will cost you more at the pump.
- Stay on top of servicing: Regular maintenance at your local dealership, such as changing your engine oil and filter and inspecting and replacing air filters, will keep your engine operating at peak efficiency to optimize your gas usage.
- Give the tires some TLC: Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for tire size and air pressure. The ideal pressure is listed on the inside of the driver’s side door jam. Believe it or not, this can affect the performance and efficiency of your vehicle.
- Stay sleek: To optimize the vehicle’s aerodynamics, remove roof racks, cargo boxes, bike racks and other accessories when you’re not using them.
- Pack light: A lighter vehicle is a more efficient vehicle, so remove all non-essential items. If it’s not needed on the trip, leave it at home.
- Electrify your ride: Driving a hybrid, plug-in hybrid or battery-electric vehicle is the best way to save on fuel, whether you borrow, lease or buy.
You fuel up and drive a hybrid just like a gas vehicle but you get 30 to 40 per cent better fuel efficiency.
A plug-in hybrid gets you all-electric, zero-emission driving when you’re staying close to home, plus a fuel tank as back-up so you never have to worry on those longer journeys.
Charging at home means a battery-electric vehicle is an ideal solution for commuting, day trips and stay-in-the-city weekends.
These simple tips should help you save on gas – and reduce your emissions – while you enjoy the pleasures of the open road this summer.