This burger uses beans and meat of your choice to give you the best of both worlds! Serve with a salad to add crunch and colour.
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 125 mL (½ cup) finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 5 mL (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 7 mL (½ tbsp) paprika
- 2 mL (½ tsp) salt
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) black pepper
- 1 egg
- 454 g (1 lb) Chicken, Turkey, or extra lean ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, mash black beans with a fork or a potato masher.
- To the same bowl, mix in onion, garlic, mustard, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and egg.
- Add ground beef and mix thoroughly. Firmly form into 8 burger patties and place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Use a digital food thermometer to check that the burgers have reached an internal temperature of 74 °C (165 °F).
Learn about food safety.
Recipe developed by the Food Innovation and Research Studio at George Brown College for the Guelph Family Health Study’s cookbook and Health Canada.