Cod fish fillets are pan-fried until golden brown and mixed with a rich tomato and spinach sauce for an easy seafood dish. Top with olives and serve with a favorite side for a quick meal.
Makes: 4 Servings | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless cod fillets
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 cups canned low-sodium diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups frozen spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives (or other Greek olives pitted and coarsely chopped)
- Put the skillet on the stove over high heat. When it is hot, add 1½ teaspoons oil.
- Add fish. Cook about 5 minutes per side, until deeply browned. Remove the fish to the plate and cover.
- Reheat the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining 1½ teaspoons oil, onion, and garlic. Cook about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Cook about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens and turns from bright red to an orange color.
- Return fish to skillet with the tomato mixture. Cover with spinach and sprinkle with olives. Cover skillet. Cook about 2 minutes over low heat until the spinach is steamed. Serve right away.
- Try this recipe with another white fish, such as tilapia, haddock, or catfish.
- Fresh tomatoes can be used instead of canned.