TORONTO: Kia Canada recently introduced the first-ever Sorento Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid, the initial product offering out of seven all-new plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles under the brand’s Plan S strategy.
Two more powertrain options offer Canadians the opportunity to be inspired to take their adventures to new heights utilizing ecofriendlier driving solutions.
Kia announced the 4th generation Sorento just last year, which delivered on its promise to be stronger, lighter, roomier and more technologically advanced than previous generations.
This ‘greener’ 3-row, SUV with unmatched cargo utility, all-wheel drive and exceptional fuel efficiency is a natural evolution of this longstanding nameplate in Canada. The Sorento PHEV officially debuted at the Montreal Electric Vehicle show in September and at the Quebec City EV show in October. Alongside Kia’s other EV models, the Soul EV and Niro EV, attendees were among the first to see and test drive the brand- new Sorento PHEV.
“We are thrilled to now offer an HEV/PHEV option of Kia’s best-known model, said Elias El-Achhab, VP & Chief Operating Officer at Kia Canada. “This milestone enhancement to the Sorento comes at the right time in Kia’s transition to providing more sustainable and ‘green’ transportation options, especially on a vehicle that Canadians trust.”
Dynamic Styling, Inside and Out The exterior of the 2022 Sorento HEV/PHEV maintains its sharp, modern lines, accentuated with high-tech details – elevating the entire Sorento experience beyond a standard SUV.
• Kia’s modernized “tiger face,” with “eyeline” details and a wide and thin front grille extending into the headlight and hood structure
• The hood edge wraps around the body side and integrates into the rear shoulder line, enhancing length and width
• Standard LED headlamps and optional signature LED forward lighting includes daytime running lights. Headlamp and DRL modules are separated for a hightech look
• Strong side character line emphasizes muscular and athletic profile
• Available split-vertical LED taillights
• Two new wheel designs in 17-inches (LX HEV) and 19-inches (EX HEV + all PHEV trims) The interior continues the strong, solid and sophisticated modernity of the exterior.
Following a credo of “Refined Boldness,” the interior designers instilled the cabin with unexpected materials to cast a striking effect and introduce two new interior colour options:
• Available navy blue leather (SX only)
• Available light grey leather (SX only)
• Unique to HEV/PHEV includes standard Shift by Wire and available ambient lighting Built on a Strong Foundation The 2022 Sorento is built on the same all-new 3rd generation “N3” platform as the all-new 2021 model, that is lighter and stronger than previous models.
• Features the same wheelbase of 35mm (1.37 inches) for more interior space
• Average tensile strength remains improved by 4% compared to the previous Sorento
• Includes improved driving dynamics, including acceleration, ride and handling, and noise vibration and harshness (NVH) Two powertrains are offered on the 2022 Sorento HEV/PHEV, each with standard all-wheel drive (AWD), shift-by-wire, drive mode select and exceptional fuel economy: Hybrid (HEV) &
• Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV): All Sorento models are loaded with an extensive list of advanced technology, similar to the 2021 model:
• Available features include: 12.3-in. full digital meter cluster (a Sorento first in 2021 and first for any Kia Canada SUV)
• Available surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle and Blind View Monitor projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal
• Up to 8 USB ports (trim level dependent)
• 8-inch or available 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen displayi
• Available split-screen functionality
• Available UVO Intelligence link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as:
◦ Connected Routingii: A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
◦ Connected Weatheriii: Provides weather information across North America
◦ Advanced notifications: ▪ Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off notifies the driver via the UVO link app if the engine is left idling and, after a pre-selected time, turns off the engine
▪ Rear Occupancy Alert can send push notification alerts via the UVO Intelligence app if movement is detected inside the vehicle
▪ SOS Connect and Roadside Assistance will automatically attempt to call 911 Call Centre via the built-in UVO modem if an airbag deploys. For non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assistance and share the vehicle’s location
◦ Also available with UVO Intelligence, are new features specifically for the PHEV model:
▪ Remote Charging Control
▪ Remote Charging Schedule
▪ Target State of Charge Setting This 4th generation Sorento is equipped with the leading-edge technology of Kia’s Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS)iv: