Give mac and cheese a makeover by adding bite-sized vegetables into the creamy sauce. This ooey-gooey recipe is sure to be a favourite. Don’t have time to cut the vegetables into small pieces? No worries. Cook larger pieces a bit longer until they are tender.
Prep time 20 min | Cook time 20 min | Servings 4
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) whole grain macaroni or fusilli
- 10 mL (2 tsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 125 mL (½ cup) finely chopped red bell pepper
- 125 mL (½ cup) grated zucchini
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 500 mL (2 cups) skim milk
- 5 mL (1 tsp) chopped fresh thyme or 2 mL (½ tsp) dried thyme leaves
- 250 mL (1 cup) shredded light old Cheddar cheese
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- Pinch fresh ground pepper
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Add macaroni and cook for about 6 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat margarine over medium heat and cook onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add carrot, red pepper and zucchini and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour and cook, stirring until flour is absorbed. Slowly pour in milk and stir until smooth. Add thyme. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until starting to bubble. Stir in cheese, mustard and pepper. Remove from heat and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in cooked macaroni until well coated.