Man Wanted in Bank Robbery Spree Investigation,
South Etobicoke and Southwest Old Toronto area,
Daniel Clatney, 59,
Broadcast time: 09:36 AM
Date: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2023
Case #: 2022-2151103
The Toronto Police Service Hold Up Squad would like to make the public aware of an arrest made in connection with a series of bank robberies.
Between Friday, November 4, 2022 and Monday, January 30, 2023, officers responded to seven robbery and hold up calls in the South Etobicoke and Southwest Old Toronto areas.
It is alleged that:
- a man entered the banks and approached the tellers wearing a mask to disguise his identity
- the man indicated he was armed with a gun and demanded cash
- the man produced a handgun in several of the incidents
- in six of the seven robberies, the man obtained a quantity of cash and fled the banks
In the ensuing investigation by the Hold Up Squad, the suspect had been identified.
On Thursday, February 2, 2023, the Toronto Police released a request for the public’s assistance locating the wanted male.
Members of the Hold Up Squad continued their investigation and determined that the same man was also involved in two more similar bank robberies that occurred on Thursday, January 12 and Thursday, February 2, 2023.
On Monday, February 6, 2023, with the assistance of officers from the 22 Division Major Crime Unit, Daniel Clatney was located and arrested.
Daniel Clatney, 59, of Toronto, was charged with:
- four counts of Robbery With Firearm
- five counts of Robbery
- nine counts of Disguise With Intent
- nine counts of Fail to comply Release Order
He is scheduled to appear at Toronto West Court on Tuesday, February 7, 2023, at 10 a.m., in room 206.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), or at www.222tips.com.