Indian cuisine is known for its diverse and flavorful dishes, with a wide range of ingredients and cooking techniques used. Here’s a recipe for a popular Indian dish that you can try at home:
Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked basmati rice, for serving
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, ginger paste, and garlic paste. Add the chicken and mix well to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- Add the tomato puree and stir well. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve the butter chicken over cooked rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
This is a classic Indian dish, known for its rich and creamy tomato-based sauce and tender chicken. The ingredients used in this recipe can be adjusted to your taste. You can make it as spicy or mild as you like and you can use chicken breast too. This dish goes well with naan bread or any other Indian bread of your choice, which is perfect to soak up all the flavorful sauce.
India has a wide variety of cuisines and diverse use of spices, ingredients, and techniques so it offers a lot to explore. Feel free to experiment and try different recipes.