(NC) Layering mango chutney into a grilled cheese sandwich is kind of like adding jam or jelly to a cheese board; it adds that welcome hit of juicy sweetness to round out the flavours and cut the richness of the cheese.
Here, we use a PC plant-based mayo-style spread as a great vegan hack for making perfectly golden grilled cheese. It coats the outside of the bread like butter to help develop a crust in the pan.
Prep time: 10 minute
Cook time: 15 minutes
• 4 tsp (20 mL) plant-based mayo-style spread
• 4 slices whole grain or white bread
• 4 tsp (20 mL) prepared mango chutney, divided
• 2 thin slices red onion, rings separated, divided
• 4 PC plant-based cheddar-style slices, divided
1. Heat nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Spread 1 tsp (5 mL) mayo-style spread over one side of each slice of bread.
3. Add one slice of bread, mayo-side down, to skillet. Spread 2 tsp (10 mL) chutney over bread and top with half the red onion and two cheddar-style slices. Top with one slice of bread, mayo-side up.
4. Cook, flipping once and pressing down on sandwich with spatula occasionally, until gold-en brown; 7 to 9 minutes.
5. Repeat with remaining bread, chutney, red onion and cheddar-style slices. Cut sandwiches in half.
Try this: Stir a pinch of turmeric or curry powder into the mayo-style spread for an extra punch of flavour.
Nutritional information per sandwich: calories 390; fat 17 g; sodium 850 mg; carbohydrates 50 g; dietary fibre 0 g; sugars 10 g; protein 7 g.