The fresh taste of lemon elevates this chicken sandwich to a whole new level. The taste sensation continues with crisp red pepper and fresh cilantro. This lunch standby goes from ho-hum to hello there.
Prep time 20 min | Cook time 0 min | Servings 6
- 750 mL (3 cups) shredded cooked chicken breast meat (about 330 g/11 oz)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 mL (½ tsp) grated lemon rind
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) light mayonnaise
- 125 mL (½ cup) light crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) fresh ground pepper
- 12 thin slices dense pumpernickel rye bread or whole grain bread
- 6 leaves lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, red pepper and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon rind, juice, yogurt and mayonnaise. Stir in feta, if using and pepper. Pour over chicken mixture and stir to combine. Divide among 6 of the bread slices and top with lettuce and remaining bread. Cut in half to serve.